Kitchen renovations are one of the most popular residential services offered by Carmax. As an easy way to add value to your home and increase your overall use of the space, the kitchen is a valuable area to remodel with the right plan in place. Over the next few weeks, we’re excited to share a few pointers to keep in mind when considering your next project! You can catch our first piece here, and stay tuned for part three coming soon!
If you’re in the early stages of planning a kitchen remodel, you’ve likely begun to do some homework when it comes to finding the best contractor for the job. Partnering with the right home renovator helps reduce stress, as well as guarantee a smooth construction process. Unfortunately with so many contractors on the market, with or without reviews, knowing how to narrow the field can often feel like a frustrating task for homeowners.
At Carmax Construction Consulting, we take our commitment to exceptional customer experience and results seriously. To help you choose your contractor confidently, we’ve compiled a short list of questions to ask any prospective builders. Check out our guide below!
Your home is one of the most precious resources you own; trusting it into someone’s hands can be a scary prospect if you’re not sure they’re qualified for the job. One of the top priorities on your search for a contractor should be determining what licenses and certificates they have, as well as their previous range of experience. Key questions to ask include:
- What licenses and certification do you have to operate as a legal contractor within Alberta?
- What areas does your business license cover? (Certain municipalities have different legislation)
- Do you have liability insurance? What about worker’s compensation insurance?
- Will you be using any sub-contractors for this project? If so, how do you ensure they have the proper qualifications?
Even with the right paper qualifications, nothing replaces on the job experience. In addition to taking a thorough look through a contractor’s portfolio, you’ll also want to ask for references and pose questions like:
- How/why did you enter the home renovation business? What is your background?
- Who have you worked for in the past?
- How does your team trouble shoot unexpected hiccups on the job?
- What would you say is the biggest lesson you’ve learned thus far as a home contractor?
Last, but certainly not least, you’ll want to determine how any prospective contractor carries out their project management. Without proper planning and experience, you could experience costly delays and stress. Weed out poor contractors by asking:
- How do you determine and allocate for your scope of work?
- How do you plan for unexpected delays? Will they cost me more?
- What steps are taken to guarantee my project will be completed on time and on budget?
- Who will I be connecting with throughout the project, and how accessible are they?
Choosing a qualified contractor doesn’t have to feel like a hassle. At Carmax, we’ll always go above and beyond to win your trust and complete remodel that leave your home feeling refreshed and perfectly fit your family’s needs.
Are you ready to get started on your kitchen renovation? Contact our team today to learn more!